Search Results

Monday, September 30, 2013

Heirloom Tomatoes and Fresh Salsa


Heirloom tomatoes was on sale last week at my grocery store. They looked really good and I was planning on buying some ripe tomatoes to make fresh salsa. It is getting cooler and cooler here and some trees have started to turn. I am not ready for the cooler weather yet. This is my attempt to hold on to however many days of warmness we have left.



Fresh Heirloom Tomato Salsa
Makes 2 cup

Ingredients
3 ripe heirloom tomatoes, diced
1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
1/2 cup of chopped cilantro
1/4 red onion, minced small
2 cloves garlic, minced small
a pinch of salt, or more to taste
juice from 1 lime

Method
Prepare all the ingredients and combine in a bowl. Let sit for 1/2 hour or so for all the flavors to meld together.

Notes
Use caution when handling fresh peppers. Jalapenos are pretty mild so I usually handle it with bare hands with no issue - at least that has been my experience. I am careful not to touch my nose or eyes for a few hours. If you use more than 1 jalapeno or a spicier pepper like Serrano or Fresno, use caution. Avoid touching them directly or use some non latex gloves.

I love onions but I am not used to eating fresh ones and my stomach doesn't sit well with too much of them, so 1/4 red onion it is. But feel free to use more of them if you like them.

4 comments:

  1. Jenn, I'm with you! I'm buying up the last sweet ripe tomatoes and savoring every last bite of summer.
    Hope you are well, my friend:)
    xo
    E

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin, I'm doing well. Hope you are as well! The leaves just started turning here so it's beautiful but I want the warm weather to stay as well. Can't have both, eh?

      Delete
  2. Quick tip on the onions.. like you they hit my tummy hard, but I love them so much! Soak them in a bit of sugar water (1/4 teaspoon per onion) and it will tone them down a bit and your tummy will thank you too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving comments.