Search Results

Thursday, October 28, 2010

FFWD: Marie-Helene's Apple Cake



This is Marie Helene's Apple Cake from Dorie Greenspan's Around My French Table.

I made 1/2 a recipe and baked in a 7 inch pan with removable bottom. I used 3 different kinds of apples (Jonagold , Honeycrisp, and Golden Delicious). I know for 1/2 a recipe I should have used only 2 of them but I want to get a lot of variety in the mix.

This cake is super easy to make, probably one of the easiest cakes I've made. I don't even have to crank on the KA mixer and that's saying a lot.


Tasting impressions:
Hubby gave it a thumbs up and said it's really good. As for me, on the day of baking, I thought the cake was good but not special. The next day, the taste improves and I am changing my verdict. It is really good. I love that there are more apples than dough in there. The dark rum definitely adds a dimension to the taste. This one will be repeated for sure.

24 comments:

  1. YUMMY! I've been eyeing to bake this too! Now that you say it's yummy..i have to try soon...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The smaller spring form pans give you so much more batter. It looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cake is beautiful! I'm so happy to hear about the better-the-next-day verdict because I'm about to have some for breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bet you were sorry you only made 1/2! lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This cake was a hit around these parts, but you know how Tom loves his apples!

    Love your last picture, you can see the crumbs on the cake and now I feel like a piece. I brong one to work today.. it's setting in the table among pumpkins pies, cookies, tiramisu cake...like an odd man out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Jenn:
    just stopping by again to say yes, you can freeze buttermilk! It didn't make sense to me, either...but I just put what I had left in a plastic container and stuck it in there. I let it defrost in the fridge and then baked with it - no problem. Great, huh?

    Fascinating that you've made ricotta!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good to know that this cake tastes even better the next day! I don't think mine lasted that long...
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful cake! It looks very moist.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Im glad you hubby liked it and you came around! I still have a few slices left in the fridge!Your cake is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We enjoyed this cake too and it was so easy. I used a pear and an apple for 1/2 of the recipe in a 6" pan. A good idea using all four of your apples. Your photos are great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. your cake looks so soft and tender.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Agree...I will have to make this again. I think it was better the second day too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. When I saw the picture of this cake in Dorie's book, I knew I had to make it. Your cake looks great. I love those big chunks of apples in it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I also loved not having to use the KA! Your cake looks lovely; next time I'll have to hide the cake so that I can try it the next day. I assumed it would be better, but we gobbled it up to fast to find out!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Btw, how did you measure the flour for this recipe? Dip and sweep, which is 5 oz/cup? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi!How about sharing the recipe? It looks amazing and I would like to make it for my birthday!Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love apple pie, every kind of apple pie (tarte aux pommes). Yours looks like so delicious and tender!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving comments.