Search Results

Sunday, July 3, 2011

ABC: Butterscotch Spiral Coffee Cake


Hanaa asked me to participate as a guest blogger for her ABC baking club. It took me about 2 minutes to decide. The menu for this month is Butterscotch Spiral Coffee Cake from Flo Baker's Baking for All Occasions.

The recipe for this cake reminds me so much of cinnamon rolls, which I love. I am not a big fan of cardamon so I opted out of it.

I do not want to make the full portion of the recipe, so I made split the recipe into 5. It is not very challenging because most of the measurement is in grams. The biggest challenge is to figure out where to bake it in as the original recipe calls for a 9 inch pan.

Fortunately I do have a 4 inch pan, that I bought on a whim last year. Going off the appendix section in Rose's Heavenly Cakes, it said that 4 inch pan is 1 3/4 cups  and a 9 inch pan is 8 2/3 cups. Dividing that up 1.75/8.67 = 0.20.

But then looking at the recipe it used 2 eggs. Would be hard to split it into 5 and I don't want to waste eggs. The recipe used some water in the dough, so I decided to replace some of the water with the remainder egg.

The batter came together very easy. One thing I love about making smaller recipes is that everything is faster. Hanaa had emailed and warned that some people said they can't taste the spice in the dough, so it might be an idea to up the spice. I noticed this is also the case when I make cinnamon rolls, I have to up the cinnamon otherwise I can't taste it. I didn't really measure the spices, though I think I probably used 1/2 tsp of cinnamon and 1/4 tsp of nutmeg (for my 1/5 recipe of the cake, which is a lot).

While the dough is rising I made the butterscotch glaze. Hanaa also warned that she heard the butterscotch glaze might not be enough, so I made 1/2 recipe. I used Lyle's Golden Syrup instead of corn syrup. I didn't read the recipe well and missed the part about melting the butter with the sugar over low heat. With medium heat the butter melted fast but the sugar was still pretty grainy. I didn't think of it at that time and dumped most of the glaze into the pan.

The dough took only 1 hour to rise, and in the picture below you can see the indentation made by my finger.


Next I rolled out the dough. Instead of mixing cinnamon with the melted butter, I glazed the dough with the butter and sprinkled a lot of cinnamon on it.


Now the fun part, coiling the layers in the pan.

1st layer.


2nd layer.


3rd and 4th layer.


There's still a bit of space and I was really tempted to add 1 more layer. But the recipe said not to fill the pan too full so I didn't.

Instead I grabbed a small ramekin, dumped some remaining butterscotch glaze that I have left and put the remaining 2 layer in there.

Here they are after 1 hour rising.


Baked for 25 minutes.


They were ready just in time for afternoon coffee.


Tasting impressions:
The butterscotch glaze did crystallize. It never really melted and it looked bad on top of the cake. It still tasted really good and we ate the smaller cake with our coffee. There's still not enough glaze in my opinion, which is amazing considering it's 1/5 cake vs. 1/2 glaze. I have the bigger cake for breakfast tomorrow and I might make more glaze for it then :).

Thank you Hanaa for inviting me to be a guest participant. I had a lot of fun making (and photographing) this cake!!!

3 comments:

  1. Sneakkkyyy you! I just finish my ABC post.... but it will not go live until Tuesday, July 5th... sooooo, guess you will have to wait to see how mine fare... but its' good.. I double up on the glaze.. and even though I double on the spices in the cake, I still think it needs more. we are 1/2 way finish with it.... I give it until tomorrow and then it will be gone-gone!

    As always chica, you small portions makes me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are the queen of small portions. I love them!!! They're super cute! Sorry your glaze crystallized, but I'm glad you still liked it. Thanks for the tip on using Lyle's Golden Syrup instead of the corn syrup. It was my first time using Lyle's. Oh my gosh, that stuff is good. I could eat it with a spoon! Ha ha.
    Thanks again for being a guest blogger for ABC! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Monica, hehe... surprise!!!

    Hanaa, I process the turbinado sugar in the food processor this morning and made more glaze. This time watching it like a hawk and stirring. It turned out good (didn't crystalized) and tasted super good. I'm wondering if we can use this glaze for other things...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving comments.