Search Results

Sunday, October 18, 2009

HCB: Apple Upside-Down Cake

At first, I was going to use peaches for this recipe. But it's apple season now, so I decided to use apples. This recipe is easy to make. I used Honey Crisp apples, core it with a melon baller and cut it thin. It is so fun to arrange the apples - I had the book next to it so I could try to mimic the design. I am short by 10 grams for the egg yolks, but I'm out of eggs, so I went ahead with the recipe anyway. This cake is baked in a 9x2 inches pan - encircled with Rose's cake strips - set on a baking stone. The stone was preheated for an hour. The stone really helps with the temperature of the oven because usually I have to add 10 minutes or so to the baking time because the middle part is not set yet. This time, however, baking time is exactly as prescribed by Rose. The result is this beautiful Apple Upside-Down Cake.


Now don't think that everything is going super well in my kitchen. It turns out that I did not have a plate large enough to hold this cake. I tried one of the biggest plate that I have and since the sides of the plate was slightly slanted, the cake was a bit damaged on one side. Anyway, ended up using a sheet pan as the place holder of this cake. Voila - disaster averted. Note to self: please go find a cake stand or a large plate!


Now onto the tasting impressions. I like making apple pies/tarts, I have tried several recipes of pies and tarts (including Rose's Open Face Designer Apple Pie). However, I am not a big fan of the taste of apple dessert. I know, I know, how can I not like apple dessert, right? Well, that's how it is. Given the choice between Apple Pie or any other cake I would usually pick the cake. Anyway, just when I thought that all is lost in the apple dessert land - that I wound never find a kind that I like - comes Apple Upside-Down Cake. This cake is soooo good. It's tender and moist and taste awesome! In retrospect, maybe what I don't like is pie crust then? :) Anyway, I love making (and eating) this cake. I will definitely make it again - and maybe try the peach version.

10 comments:

  1. Hi Jenn - So glad you were able to find an apple dessert that you really like! Sorry you don't have a serving plate large enough to hold this cake. Do you have a large cutting board (one that doesn't have onions and garlic impregnated into it)?

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought i posted a comment but i think it disappeared. I was saying ..your cake looks so delicious!! And your apples so soft too! Mine is still quite crunchy..lol! Like undercook, but it's ok cos i like crunchy stuff..LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Patricia - I didn't think of cutting board. Though the one that I have are wood so they would be heavier for me to handle than the sheet pan. Thanks for the idea though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patricia - btw, I used Honey Crisps because of your comment on Marie's blog. Didn't know that this apple is good for baking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pictures Jenn! Love the picture of the slice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jenn - I use a Panasonic Lumix FX-28. It's a point and shoot, but it's a bit bigger than the pocket size ones.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jenn,
    I love the Honey Crisps--they're just about the perfect all-around apple. I think your apples got a little browner than mind did, and they look beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your cake turned out great. I love Honeycrisp apples, and apple desserts. I'm glad you liked this cake :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Hanaa! I hope your renovation finished soon so you can start baking.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your cake came out nice and high. I turned mine out onto a regular dinner plate which it barely fit. Guess it's time for us both to buy a real cake plate.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving comments.