Search Results

Monday, February 14, 2011

HCB: Quail Egg Indulgence Cake and Chocolate Streussel Coffee Cake

This is Quail Egg Indulgence Cake or otherwise will be known as the "broken heart cake" in my house. The cake fell apart when I flipped it from the cooling rack. I contemplated not photographing it, but changed my mind, thinking that with the proper background and angle it might look interesting. Plus I like the "broken heart" name :).

This cake, as its name would suggest to you, calls for quail eggs. I have fond memories of quail eggs. Growing up, I was skinny as a toothpick. My concern mother, who is afraid people will look at me and think that she did not feed me, tried to feed me all kinds of things between meals to get me to gain weight. When I say all kinds of things, I really meant it. From fish oil in liquid form, a glass of milk, a bowl of ice cream, kraft cheese (the ones in singles pack), soft boiled eggs, and hard boiled quail eggs. With the exception of fish oil, I like all my "mandatory" snacks, quail eggs included. I have not, however, tried it in a cake. So when this cake comes along, I was determined not to miss it.

Mendy, a fellow Heavenly Cake Bakers, said that he found quail eggs at Whole Foods. I called my local Whole Foods and the very helpful employee there said they don't carry quail eggs, but they have duck eggs, FYI. So then I went to a nearby Asian grocery store and found some - $1.99 for a dozen.

The cake is pretty easy to make. The most difficult part is breaking the eggs and separating the yolks from the whites. I ended up using 7 yolks to get the required 28 grams, and 5 out of 7 yolks broke. The yolks are then mixed with vanilla and a bit of heavy cream.

Back to the cake. Mix the dry ingredients together, add in the butter and all but 1 Tbsp of heavy cream. Mix until combined. Add in the yolk mixture in 2 additions, beating for 15 seconds each time to incorporate.

I got a couple of 6 inch heart shaped pan last month at Ross for about 30% off the original price. I have stopped counting how many pans I have, I figured I will just buy if it's inexpensive and if it's something I will use several times. And I can see myself using this heart pan again, especially since it's perfect for half recipes.


I'm not sure why Rose said this cake serves two. It is quiet big and I can't imagine eating half of it in one sitting. Unless I'm super hungry or haven't eaten in a couple of days. In which case I'm pretty sure I can eat the whole thing.

Tasting impressions:
It is pretty good. It has a interesting flavor that I can only attribute to the quail eggs, as all the other ingredients are quite basic. I am not sure if I will make it again, since it requires a special trip to the Asian market. But I'm glad I made it.

I also made Chocolate Streussel Coffee Cake. Mainly because I want to scratch another cake off my list (32 cakes to go YAY!).


This cake is also easy to put together. The only thing that baffles me is that the cake turned out dense and looked like it's not baked at all even though I baked it for 50 minutes and a cake tester came out clean.


You can see in the slice picture below that the texture is weird. It tasted pretty good though and I like the streussel filling.


12 comments:

  1. Love the cutesy cake! And you are right teh cake has a weird texture, but it the taste was good.. that is good enough right?

    Now back to lala land I go.. just wanted to stop by and comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow--that is a weird texture! too much liquid perhaps? your broken heart cake looks very sweet, and i love your pink tablecloth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you could get rich selling "broken heart" cakes for all the people who hate Valentine's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your table cloth as well..looks like wall paper to me too. I just went to check out the variety of wall papers for my home and the korean ones, are so colorful and as sweet pink like that too..i wanted to pink that but my husband said too pink..lol!!

    Both cakes look yummy and i do like the broken heart too!

    You didn't tell your Mom back then that being skinny is good? ;) I was put on a program in school to have special milk powder to bulk up too..which never happened..LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your "skinny" comment was so funny. I had the same "problem" growing up, although I wasn't on a special regiment like you.
    I too like your "broken heart". Marie's comment about those that hate V Day was funny. As for the Bundt cake, it looks so pretty on the outside. I wonder what went wrong with the texture. Weird!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was just thinking about something. I probably should think it through more before suggesting it but I'm feeling spontaneous today :o). What if we continued baking from RHC after Marie's done? We could take your list of 32-9 = 23, and maybe bake every 2 weeks. Then you wouldn't have to rush to bake your other cakes. You could be our "new Marie" and we'd bake together for another 10 months. Maybe by then Marie will miss us enough and come up with something else while Rose is working on her new book :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the broken heart cake! So glad you posted it, it made me smile :)

    I'm stumped on the streusel cake. It looks as though it could be underbaked- maybe your oven was running cool?

    ReplyDelete
  8. The broken heart cake is such a good idea! I'm so glad you photographed it--I love when a small glitch like that actually adds more character to the finished product. Too cute!
    Also, I joined the club later on, too, so I still have several cakes to bake, if you want to continue like Hanaa is suggesting... :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That cake looks so beautiful!! Do you know where i can get the recipe? Would love to try it! Thanks a lot ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Daphne,
    Thanks! The recipe is in the book: "Rose's Heavenly Cakes." You can get the book (loads of yummy cakes in there) or borrow it from the library.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on being the featured baker this week!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving comments.