Search Results

Thursday, April 2, 2015

Bread Bible: Pita Bread


My hubby is vegan. He has been vegan for several years now and he's doing a version where he's not eating any added oil. So no olive oil. When I baked things from The Baking Bible, he has allowed himself to taste a bit. A taste. That is one bit of 1/2 recipe or 1/4 recipe that I have been making. So since we are making pita bread this week and I want him to eat more than one small bite, I omitted the olive oil in the recipe and added more water instead.

I have to confess I am not motivated at all in this baking club. Even though this recipe is easy to put together. And I have made this before too! Back in 2011! (blogged here).

The dough came together really quick. But 2 days later I feel too tired to proceed to the next time. It's not helping that work has been busy. Crazy work getting in the way.


Step by step photos:


I forgot to take photos of the step by steps mixing. Here is the dough after it's done.


The dough then went into resting in the fridge, This is how it looks 2 days later.


I really dislike using oiled plastic wrap to cover dough. It's slimy and un-appealing. So I have gotten used to using containers. Here's the same container used to stored the dough, being re-purposed to cover the dough while resting.


Rolling them out.


Baking. They have a funny shape. I like the one on the left.


See what I mean :)?


Served with one of my whimsical version of vegan (no added oil) hummus. This version has chickpeas, mushrooms, onion, roasted garlic, and cilantro.


Close up.


8 comments:

  1. They look great! How was the texture without the oil?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look great! How was the texture without the oil?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks wonderful! Your husband is so healthy! He must be very fit and and does he works out all the time?

    ReplyDelete
  4. They are so cool looking. Nice and puffy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For someone who started off unmotivated your pitas turned out fabulously. And your photos are great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes I would also like to know about the consistency. I feel the same Jen. It is really too much for me too. I have gotten so far behind work I am having t work late nights and weekends to catch up and it is enervating. But I wanted to do it so much that I am fighting to make it happen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw you with Rose! :D The bone marrow looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving comments.