Search Results

Monday, January 11, 2016

Alpha Bakers: My Chocolate Chip Cookies


Finally! Chocolate Chip Cookies from Rose!

I made this recipe in November 2014 (that felt like super long ago). This is again, one of the recipes I test for high altitude baking, for Rose's Heavenly Cookies class at Craftsy. I was really excited to see this cookie on her list since I wanted to make it ever since the book was published - but I was trying to be a good Alpha Baker and not bake ahead. Coincidentally, about a month before The Baking Bible is out, I craved Chocolate Chip Cookies. I couldn't find a recipe for it in any of Rose's other cookbooks so I baked from a recipe I found on the internet. I don't remember which recipe I made. It was not memorable. So not memorable that I didn't even bother to take photos of the cookies.I should probably have taken note of the website so I know not to make it again. But now that I have tried Rose's version, let's just say the search is over. I would not need to try any other Chocolate Chip Cookies recipe. 

This is an easy recipe, Q&E for Rose's standard but it does require an extra step for you to make beurre noisette. Anything made with beurre noisette taste good, in my opinion. I like the explanation in the book that to make this cookie lactose-tolerant, to throw away the milk residue (it's called something different in the book but I don't have it near me to check). I wonder though that whether it makes it completely lactose-free, but then you'd have to take out the chocolate chip cookies since it has milk, so then the cookie become walnut cookie? (do you follow my odd logic?).


First I made the beurre noisette and toast the walnuts.

Then whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt in a bowl. Mix the beurre noisette in a stand mixer bowl with the sugar, egg, and vanilla. Add the flour and mix, then add the chocolate chips and walnuts to the mixer bowl and mix until incorporated. 

I have always used Ghirardelli bittersweet chips for cookies. It is nice to see that Rose has it in the book as one of her recommended chocolate for this recipe.

I made two 1/2 recipes and freeze the other 1/2 cookie dough. I don't want to have so many chocolate chip cookies laying around the house. It's very dangerous. The other 1/2 flattened/frozen cookie dough ended up being baked a couple of months later and turned out fine. 

This is the 1/2 cookie dough that is going to be baked today. I only refrigerated the cookie dough for a couple of hours. See my note on the blueish shadow :).


My 1/2 recipe dough weigh 311 grams, divided into 10 each is weighed to 31 grams.

Cookie balls!
All flattened and ready to go 
Fresh from the oven.
Rose is very specific in how wide the cookies should be. 2 inches wide.


Best eaten warm when the chocolate chips are oozing. Hmmm...


Alpha Bakers is a group of bakers who are baking through The Baking Bible, Rose Levy Beranbaum's latest cookbook. Come check out the rest of the group at Rose's Alpha Bakers.

3 comments:

  1. That last photo is amazing! Good to know the unbaked dough can hang out in the freezer for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally get your odd question I had it too. but, then realize that there is a vegan chocolate chip maybe that?...your last picture just made me run to my kitchen and grab one of the last cookies...yum.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your beauty shot a wonderful. So inviting...I could lift them right off the screen. Great shots all around. Your reflection is too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving comments.