Search Results

Sunday, July 25, 2010

HCB: Designer Chocolate Baby Grand



I was looking forward to making this cake. The name of this cake is just so cute and it looks so adorable, with its shiny glaze and flat top.

I was not, however, looking forward to it being the week after the chocolate banana cake. As much as I like chocolate, it is a little too much to have chocolate cake 2 weeks in a row.

The cake itself is really easy to do. Mix the cocoa powder with boiling water. Once it's cooled to room temperature, mix in the egg yolks and oil and mix until it resembled buttercream. Next, add all the dry ingredients in 2 batches. Finally, mix in the egg whites.

I tried to divide the batter equally between 14 cupcakes. First I distributed 25 grams to each cupcake liner, but then I still had leftover batter. In the end I think I ended up with 29 grams.

The cupcakes baked in 15 minutes. While it's baking, I made the milk chocolate ganache syrup. I heated up the heavy cream, then mix it with the milk chocolate. It is so easy to break the milk chocolate into little pieces. At first I used a knife, but then realized that the chocolate is soft enough that I could use my hands.


Once the cupcake baked, I poked holes all over with a wooden skewer, then applied the syrup. I don't know if any of the HCB bakers managed to use up all the syrup. I couldn't. Even after 3 application, I ended up with a puddle of ganache on top of the cupcakes. Somehow they were not being absorbed very well so I gave up. I had a little leftover ganache, which is now happily sitting in the freezer, accompanying the leftover ganache from the chocolate banana stud cake last week. I'm gonna have to figure out a way to use these 2 little leftovers, perhaps I can get creative with the chocolate featherbed cake, coming up in 3 weeks...

With all the ganache on top of the cupcakes, looking almost as shiny as a lacquer glaze, I made an executive decision right there and then to skip the lacquer glaze. Plus I have these chocolate pearls from Whole Foods that I wanted to use, and as Rose mentioned in the book, I should put them on while the ganache is still wet.



I got a little carried away with the decoration, not sure of what pattern to do, so I ended up with multiple ones. I really like the swirls so there are a few with those. And for fun, there's an "I love you" one. See if you can spot it, :).


Tasting impression:
YUM! It is so good. I was so glad I reduced the sugar in the cupcakes by 25 grams, the sweetness level is good. The chocolate pearls has a little crunch (it has crunchy cereal in the ingredients). I like the texture of the pearls with the cake.

20 comments:

  1. I seee it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They are adorable! So wonderful all the little designs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Top left? They are really cute. Glad to know Whole Foods has the chocolate pearls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are beautifully decorated Jenn! I love it!! i didn't have time to do this week's assignment...actually i was kinna lazy..hahaha.. But now looking at yours makes me drool!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautifully decorated; heart your patterns!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! These look both delicious and professionally decorated. Well thought out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. jenn ... i see it too .. gosh! you are one such patient gal!

    too much thumbing of last week's stud cake?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very sweet! Gorgeous photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow.. look at you... ! I'm loving them. And girl, the photos look AMAZI-GGGG! (loving your new camera).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Jenn, what a lovely job you did. I really like the whimsical placement of your chocolate pearls. They remind me of the patterned pomander balls that the kids and I used to make every year (apples studded with cloves).

    So, who got the I heart u cupcake?

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the pics, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Found it!!
    Beautiful Jenn. I was just telling Vicki how I love the choc perles she used :o) Thanks for the tip on reducing the sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great job, Jenn! Love the photos. So, yes, do tell, who got the "I heart U"? :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks everyone for the lovely comments!

    Gartblue - yes too much thumbing of the chocolate stud. I'm officially addicted to stud decorations now!

    Hanaa - I've started reducing sugar now. It helps!

    Butteryum and Julie -
    The "I heart U" cupcake goes to hubby of course. It's packed with his lunch today. He doesn't know it yet psstt... so we'll see if he noticed :).

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, Jenn, I love your use of the Perles. Aren't they SO FUN to use? Unfortunately, the last time I made them, I was on a trip home, and my little sister pigged out on my leftover Perles!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love how you decorated your little cakes. They are so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Jenn,
    That was some fabulous bit of cocoa powder detective work you posted on Monica's and Marie's comments. I'm not sure how many HCB'ers read all the comments. If you did do a post on your blog, I'm sure it would be appreciated. You explained it well. There's no way I could do the math.

    ReplyDelete
  17. http://www.davidlebovitz.com/archives/2010/02/cocoa_powder_faq_dutch-process_v.html

    Incredible explanation on the differences in chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are awesome! Im going to post a link to this post on my blog www.OnlyCupcakes.net!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wah! Now I want some of those chocolate pearls. Why don't we ever have pretty things like that sold around here?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving comments.