Search Results

Monday, July 5, 2010

HCB: Chocolate Ice Cream Cake



I love ice cream.

It is very rare that I met an ice cream flavor that I don't like. And I've made the German Chocolate Cake before and love it. So it's a no-brainer that this cake will be a hit.

I made the ice cream on Saturday. At first I was going for a strawberry ice cream, but I changed my mind when I saw cherries at the grocery store. So vanilla cherry ice cream it is.

I used Rose's vanilla ice cream from The Cake Bible, and incorporated the cherry part from a bing cherry ice cream recipe from Williams Sonoma's website.

As I was prepping the batter for the German Chocolate cake yesterday, it hit me that I'm a bit nervous. With the way my baking luck has been lately, I wondered if this cake will be messed up too. Panicked and worried, I read and re-read the recipe several times and checked my ingredients to make sure that everything will go well.

Thankfully, it did.

In the spirit of making 1/2 cakes again, I am using 2 new pans: my new 7 inch Magic Line pan to bake the cake and the removable bottom 7 x 3 Magic Line pan to compose the cake. In the recipe Rose calls for a slightly larger pan to bake the cake because the cake will shrink. Well, I know I'm taking risks, and the ice cream part of the cake will probably be uneven on one side, but that's okay :).

The Chocolate cake recipe is split into half and the batter is enough to fill the pan about halfway, with a little leftover batter for 1 small cupcake - for testing (thanks to Hanaa for this idea :)).



Tasting impression: YUMMMM!!! Homemade ice cream is the best. And Rose's recipe is definitely a winner. I forgot to reduce the amount of vanilla in the ice cream, so it taste more like vanilla ice cream with cherry chunks. But combined with the chocolate cake it taste completely superb!

13 comments:

  1. It looks and sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Homemade ice cream to boot! Cherry and chocolate have to be my favorite combination of flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the contrast of the cherries with the cake. Very nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennnn! It looks wonderful, love the first picture - are you trying out the new camera?

    I made my own ice cream as well... I mean, if you are going to do ice cream cake... you need to go all out right?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your cherry chunks looks gorgeous!!! Looks like little red lips on it! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That just looks divine! I had chosen Cherries Garcia, but husband John said he doesn't like cherries - so I used Blue Bell coffee. Still good with that cake....yum.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jenn - this looks so gorgeous! What photography!
    I left you a note on your genoise page a minute ago. sorry hadn't gotten back sooner.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jenn: I left you directions to Hector's yellow Kitchen where you can see him actually making Rose genoise! It is fabulous. Find where topic of induction plate is used to warm eggs, and beating foam etc. That will be the one, with his nieces and nephews there reading the book to him.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Baking success--yay! The little cupcake sandwich is so appealing. Your photos look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. ב''ה

    Wow! Looks great. The nice thing about home made ice cream is that you can add any flavors you want. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG....what a beautiful ice cream cake....I want it now!!!!!! so chocolatey and rich, and the fudge sauce makes me crazy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Simply beautiful and it looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving comments.