Search Results

Monday, March 21, 2011

HCB Free Choice: Mini Vanilla Bean Pound (Cup)Cakes


I made this cupcake a couple of weeks ago. I was actually making the Pecan Pie from the Pie & Pastry Bible, and felt like making something from RHC as well. So I made the mini vanilla bean pound cake as cupcakes. I figured it's easy enough to do. I made 1/3 of recipe, which yield 4 cupcakes - about 45-50 grams each.

I am not going to go over the recipe in this post. It's pretty easy - like a regular butter cake. But also because I had forgotten what the recipe is like and I don't have my book with me. Haha. The downfall of baking ahead :).

In the recipe, the cake isn’t frosted, only syruped, but I felt like having some frosting. It’s been a long time since I made buttercream, and I have yet to try Lyle's Golden Syrup on neooclassic, so that’s what I made - flavored with orange flower water and orange oil. I figured since the pound cake does not have a strong flavor it would go well. And it did. So good was the buttercream that I ended up forgetting to syrup the cupcakes.

Frosting the cupcakes was fun. And I thought it needed something else so I took a bar of Green & Blacks white chocolate I had in the freezer and grated some over the cupcakes. The topped with little pink non pareils for more cute effect :).


Tasting impressions:
I didn't miss the syrup in the cake at all. The cake remained moist. It's definitely more dense than the yellow butter cake/cupcake but in a good way. The neoclassis buttercream is excellent. With Lyle the taste is phenomenal.

And I will leave you with a picture of the Pecan Pie. I made the chocolate version and decorated them with lattice top and whipped cream.


4 comments:

  1. now that's what frosting should look like! your cupcakes look delicious, and so pretty. and your little chocolate-pecan pies are adorable too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohhhh I'm wanting some pie, because pecan pie is the one of the only pies that I will eat. The cupcake look sooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cupcakes are super cute and the flavor combos you mentioned sound delicious. Orange blossom water? Oh yeah! White choc? Hello! :o) The crust in your pecan pie looks super flaky. Which recipe did you use? The cream cheese one? That's one of my fav.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving comments.