Search Results

Monday, March 7, 2011

HCB: Moist Chocolate Raspberry Genoise


I made this cake for my birthday in 2009 but never posted it. I made 1/2 recipe, baked in 2 6 inch pans. It's funny to go back and dig up old photos of cakes. If I had make the cake this weekend, 2 things would have been different. I would have decorated it differently and the photos would have been much better.

Still, I think it turned out kinda cute. I know I''m complimenting myself here, something that I try not to do. But it is so funny to see this cake after over a year and the happy birthday with the smiley face, written in strained raspberry jam.

As it's been over a year, I do not remember much a lot of details about this cake, so this is going to be a very short post.

Moist Chocolate Genoise is one of my favorite chocolate cake. It's a chocolate cake that I've made most often (twice as black forest, once with whipped chocolate ganache, and this cake).

Too lazy to make raspberry sauce, I bought a jar of raspberry jam/preserve and strain the seeds. I don't remember that I was too lazy, but I know myself, so I know that's what I must have done LOL.

I see from the picture that the ganache it turned out smooth, which surprises me because if I had made it today it probably would have turned out grainy. This tells me that I must have had better patience back then. Have I grown more impatience over time? Something to ponder and work on I suppose :).


Though I don't remember much about making this cake, I remember my tasting impressions. The cake was good but it was a bit too rich for me (I might have used a higher cacao content chocolate or something). I remembered that I could only eat a small slice and ended up bringing the rest to the office. The raspberry taste is barely noticeable (should've made my own raspberry puree).

7 comments:

  1. I like your birthday cake!

    I'm not sure that homemade raspberry puree would have helped--all my tasters thought the raspberry taste was subtle and that their tastebuds quit saying 'raspberry' and just said 'chocolate' after a few bites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty! I've learned with these ganache frostings to only frost the top otherwise it overpowers the cake. Not as pretty as a fully frosted cake but more pleasant to eat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, let me wish you very belated Happy Birthday ;).

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man.. your post made me happy... that smily face hit the spot today... not that I'm not happy today.. but your decorating made me extra happy and that is all the happy I'm going to write about today.

    I behind on this cake.. I 1/2 the recipe (in the book) I have the ingredients, I just have to muster the energy to do it.. which its hard, since it's not calling to me at all, and Tom is not a huge fan of chocolate, so know for a fact that its going to go to waste and that does not make me happy.

    opps, I lied, I typed it again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know what you mean. It's fun to browse thru old cake pictures. Sometimes I think, wow, that's not bad, and sometimes it's like, what was I thinking, ha ha. I figured the cake would be "chocolate heavy" so for our anniversary, I took a detour with the syrup, filling and frosting. Hopefully I'll get the post up tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great cake!! The slice looks so yummy! Your cocoa syrup layer is making me drool...

    IMO, the raspberry puree was sooooo delicious. I drank the leftovers straight out of the jar last night, only a few gulps, but I could have drunk the entire thing instead of putting it in the ganache! I think it added a really nice raspberry flavor to the chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday!! :) Great looking cake! I haven't been baking much..must catch up! :D

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving comments.