Search Results

Monday, March 28, 2011

HCB: Orange Glow Chiffon Layer Cake


This is going to be a short post. I got a nasty cold over the weekend, and am still pretty run down from it. But I managed to force roll myself out of bed long enough to make this cake. I made 1/2 recipe baked in 7 x 3 inch pan.

The cake is pretty easy to make, and especially so since I've made it for the Bostini last year.

First, mix the egg yolks, orange juice, orange zest, and vanilla in a bowl. Then mix all the dry ingredients in the stand mixer. This cake calls for unbleached AP instead of cake flour/bleached AP for the Bostini. Once all the dry ingredients are mixed, add in the egg yolks mixture. Then whip the egg whites until foamy, add in cream of tartar, whip until soft peaks, then add the 1 Tbsp of sugar and whip until stiff peaks. I usually use my hand mixer for this one. Once the egg whites reached stiff peak, fold them into the egg yolks flour mixture.

Pour into the pan and bake.

I had already taken out my flower nail before starting the cake, but had somehow forgotten about it (it was hidden behind the the book). And only after the cake's been in the oven for 10 minutes I remembered the flower nail. What to do? I quickly open the oven door, grab the pan and stuck the flower nail in the middle of the cake anyway. I wasn't sure whether I should do this but the middle of the cake is still liquid so I thought why not. The cake baked for 35 minutes, and though it did rose in the middle, it sunk upon cooling. So maybe the sunken middle is due to my forgetting the flower nail.

You can see in the picture below how the middle is a lot shorter than the edges of the cake.


I wanted to make the whipped cream but just didn't have the energy to do, so I skipped it. 

Tasting impressions:
This cold has killed my taste bud, I can't smell a hint of orange in the cake but can't taste it at all. It is spongy, that's all I can tell you. Hubby said that the cake is good. A bit dense he said but he liked the flavor. I'm sure it'd be much better with the orange marmalade whipped cream. I will have to make this again when I feel better.

7 comments:

  1. Kudos for making the cake while sick. I have a nasty cold too (and had to cancel the baking session w/Marie). I have all the will of the world to make this cake b/c I love orange but simply no energy. So kudos to you! Too bad it sunk in the middle. At least it tasted good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow.. look at you... even during sick time! I'm like Hanaa, I'm worth nothing during any cold... so hats off to you!

    But I got to say, I'm in love with your picture.. love the indentations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hanaa and Monica, thanks for the kudos. I'm pretty much useless too during a cold. The cake was the only thing I managed to do. Which in hindsight is probably not a good idea b/c I felt worse afterwards :).

    Monica - the picture was a desperate photo attempt. I was too tired to do a photo set up. The 1st photo I put the plate by the window sill, the 2nd I just held it. Glad you liked the results!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, my 6" cake sank in the middle despite the nail, so who knows?

    Hope the cold gets better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you're feeling better soon. The cake will be much better when you can smell it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so good! A couple of questions: What is a flower nail? And what kind of cake pan did you use to get the design on top. It is so pretty! I'm sorry that you have a cold and hope you get to feeling better.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving comments.