Search Results

Sunday, October 23, 2011

HCB: Peanut Butter Ingots


I have two things to celebrate this weekend. First, this is the last ingots I have to make. EVER! After 4 ingots, I now firmly 110% believes that I do not like them. And will never make them again.

Second celebration, I finished baking through Rose's Heavenly Cakes. Yes. Finished! 94 cakes plus 1 wedding cake.

I AM DONE! Are you reading this Marie? Rose?

Finito.

And we are going to celebrate next week. Hubby is taking me to my favorite restaurant.

(As a clarification, I finished baking through the book. I have not finished blogging and hosting it. I still have 5 cakes to blog about).
Back to these ingots.

They were really easy to make and it gave me the opportunity to use my cute flower silicone pan.

Like any other ingots, it calls for toasting some unblanched almonds and making beurre noisette. The toasted almonds were processed in the food processor with powdered sugar. Next, pulse in the flour.


Then beat the egg whites until foamy. Add the almond flour mixture until incorporated.


Drizzle in the beurre noisette while mixing on medium-low speed. And finally, add in the peanut butter and mix until incorporated.




Tasting impressions:
It is now official. We really do not like ingots. The one that's at least okay and not bad were the plum ingots. These peanut butter ones were okay. Edible but really nothing special. I know this is not a very exciting review. I'm glad I made so little of them. I ate them as a mid-afternoon snacks and they served their purpose well there. Unfortunately, I'd have to say that after 4 different ingots recipe, I would not make ingots again.

An interesting side effect from making these ingots is now I kinda like peanut butter. I bought a jar of them (they were on sale), had a lot leftover and since I don't like throwing food away I've been eating them for breakfast on toasted bread. It took me a while to finish the jar as I don't eat them every day but now that I have finished it I just bought myself another jar of peanut butter :).

12 comments:

  1. ב''ה

    Oh my, are you really finished? Major congrats! Thank you for hosting, your pics and your write ups.

    still have a few to go.

    What now???!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on getting it done! Hats off to you...and chica.. you did not like peanut butter????

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mendy, I am finished baking from the book. Not finished hosting the bake through yet. There's still 3 cakes from the book, and 2 free choice (one is wedding cake free choice).

    Monica, I love peanut butter now! I have to ration myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, Jenn! What an accomplishment! I think we all need to get connected on fb to make sure we don't lose touch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lois, I'm not in FB, but I have a twitter account.

    As for keeping in touch, I'm still planning on visiting your blog! I hope you'll come and visit here even after we're done :).

    ReplyDelete
  6. A big congratulations and thanks for hosting. Hopefully we can bake together again with another book. When I am in Colorado visiting my son, I will get in touch and we can talk baking/cooking. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bravo!! Congratulations on this major milestone and accomplishment. Wow, you’ve baked each and every recipe in Rose’s Heavenly Cakes :o) Really, my hats off to you. Thank you so much for hosting the HCB group over the last several months, your beautiful pictures and the great LC NC write-ups. I plan on baking along next week for Free Choice :o) Your PB ingots look absolutely adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. big congratulations on finishing the book! what will you bake next?

    ingots are not my favorites, but i don't dislike them either. however, they probably won't get made much, if ever, in my house. not when there's so many other options that i feel are better!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh my goodness! Congratulations!! How does it feel? Are you sad, glad, or a bit of both? I'm with Hanaâ- what's next?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks everyone for the comments! :). ECL, next I have pumpkin pie (maybe from PPB) and the swedish pear cake (from RHC).

    Jane, it feels good to be done. And relieved! I never have thought I'd gotten this far! You will catch up soon though, at the rate you've been going :).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations, Jenn! Isn't it a great feeling? It was a huge project, and you're done...well, get those last blog posts in and you're done. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving comments.