Search Results

Monday, January 16, 2012

Barefoot Contessa's Outrageous Brownie


I made Barefoot Contessa's Outrageous Brownie yesterday.

My friend Anne told me about this recipe last week. I have never even heard of it. Seeing that it has almost 500 reviews, I felt like I have missed the boat.

Time to catch up.


This brownie, like any other brownie, I'm sure, is very easy to put together.

Also like most brownie, its ingredients is mostly chocolate and butter.

The full recipe uses 1 lb of butter. ONE POUND!?!

Though horrified, I decided to proceed. Making 1/4 recipe only.


I didn't have semi sweet chocolate on hand, so I used a combo of bittersweet and white chocolate.


First melt the chocolate and butter over double boiler. Once it's melted and cooled slightly, add in the eggs, vanilla, and sugar.


Then cooled it down a bit more, add in the flour, baking powder, and salt combo. Finally, add in the chopped walnuts.

The recipe said to bake for 35 minutes. But it took mine 50 minutes to get from this...


... to this.



Tasting impressions:
It is really good. Chewy, chocolate-y. It is the perfect afternoon (or anytime) snack. I was craving chocolate over the weekend and this outrageous brownie will more than satisfy that craving!

Recipe: Outrageous Brownie

8 comments:

  1. Ina's recipes are always a hit. Love her!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The recipe looks delicious!
    1 lb of butter sure is a lot though...

    http://daily-iphoneography.posterous.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking at the ingredients, I can tell this cake is really rich and full of flavor. You did a great job. Your photos are definitely calling my name! I must try this recipe soon as well. Thanks for sharing.

    Have a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow..... just wow! :) insanely good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful pics, as always. I find the eggs especially cheerful -- but that bit of brownie on the dish that's sort of broken off surely beckons!!!!! Keep in mind that 1 lb. of butter makes a whole cookie sheet full of brownies! Enough for a movie night with the gals with and take home bags, to boot!!! --ak

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kathy, 1 lb is a lot. Hence the moderated baking amount :).

    Simply Tia, go try it! You won't regret it.

    Anne, eggs is just so pretty, isn't it! I love this shot as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. can we have the 1/4 recipe plzzzz looks yummmm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi guys, this recipe looks good, but you are missing out on a GREAT thing by making any changes to the original. Try Ina's original recipe - you won't be disappointed. And, once cut and portioned they freeze beautifully so if you're not in need of an entire sheet pan of brownies you can freeze the leftovers for a later time. Enjoy.

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving comments.