Search Results

Sunday, October 2, 2011

HCB Free Choice: Catalan Salt Pinch Cake

I had scratch this cake off my list as according to my notes I've made it back in April 5, 2010.

But when I was trying to look for the pictures to blog about it, I couldn't find the pictures. And I don't remember this as one of those cakes that I've made but didn't photograph. And I'm pretty organized, each cake from Rose's book has its own folder, filed under the book's name folder, filed under a folder called "food."






















Since I didn't have a picture of it, it calls for a re-do. Which, in the end I'm glad I did because I realized I had forgotten how this cake tasted like.

An unusual cake this is. First off, the name. It is funny for cake that contains no salt to have Salt in the name. Second, the method is unlike anything we've seen in the book. The recipe starts out pretty basic, with roasting almonds and processing it in the food processor but then it quickly got interesting. The amount of sugar added to the egg whites is so high proportionally that I was worried it wouldn't mix. But Rose is nothing if not reliable and this process went by without hiccup.





















Overall this cake is pretty easy to make, with the exception of having to add the eggs 2 Tbsp at a time to the mixer in the span of 20 minutes. I cheat a bit and finished it in 15 minutes but in my defense I did make 1/2 the recipe :).

Tasting impressions:
This is one of those cakes that is simple but special. It is special because of the way you can eat it (pinching). It is special because it is so yummy by itself, without any frosting or ganish. So spongy and fluffy. I love the slight almond crunch in it and the flavor is yum. This goes into "make again list."

3 comments:

  1. ha! easy to forget which ones we made and which one's we skipped! This is one of those that intrigue me out of the RHC book. mmm, I think I may have to make it after reading your tasting impressions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked this one - glad you did too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for writing this up. I probably wouldn't have tried it based on the name alone. The "salt" bit but you made it sound so tasty. I'm going to rethink this cake.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving comments.