Search Results

Sunday, July 10, 2011

HCB Free Choice: Apple Cinnamon Crumb Coffee Cake and Chocolate Apricot Roll with Lacquer Glaze


There are a couple of cakes from the book that I made last year but never blogged about. I was going to at some point but things other cakes got in the way.

This weekend I told myself that I should blog about them. No excuses! Even if the photos makes me cringe, especially the Apricot Roll one, where the sliced photo is all blurry. I took 8 photos of them and none were in focus. *@)*&)*%#_*#)!

There's not much to say about the Apple Cinnamon Crumb Coffee Cake as I don't remember much. Which to me means two things: the cake was easy and the taste was not bad but not super good either.

I do remember that we love the crunch of the topping on top and the slight crunch of the apple in the middle.

The Chocolate Apricot Roll with Lacquer Glaze I remember, even though it was made 2 months before the Coffee Cake. This cake took some time to make as there are 4 components: the cake itself, lekvar, ganache, and lacquer glaze.

I remember making Lekvar and it took a while. I made 1/2 recipe of the roll but made the full recipe of the lekvar because I heard that it wasn't going to be enough. In the end I had too much lekvar and they sat in the fridge for weeks until they get thrown out. We didn't like the lekvar and would much prefer apricot jam.


I also remember making the lacquer glaze. Man, it was a pain because it was so temperature sensitive. I think I had to redo it and when I coat the cake there were bubbles everywhere. I know Rose said to stir slowly/carefully, a step that I overlook. I tried to poke the bubbles with a needle but in the end gave up.


The cake was not bad. We weren't impressed with the lekvar and the ganache totally overpower the cake. The texture of the cake itself is good and the glaze was very chocolate-y (YUM!).

6 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness I think the apple cinnamon crumb cake is in my top 5 favorites so far. Seriously, ate the whole thing in one night- looking at your picture of it is bring back taste memories, yumm!!

    The cakes look great. Don't be insecure about your pictures, even one of your "cringe" photos are still fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. JEJEJE.. I know why you did not bake this weekend... you were probably snapping away with your new toy.... cannot wait to see what you pull with that puppy at hands! Congratulations...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jane, thank you for the sweet comment on the photo.

    Monica, I did bake hehehe as well as snapping away with the new toy. Stay tuned for a post tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm, the apple cinnamon etc cake is a perennial favorite over this way--even when I underbake it and it is gooey people can't stop eating it! Try the peach variation in TCB, it is also delicious.

    Way to catch up and post! Can't wait to hear about the new toy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks truly delicious! The crumble looks like a perfect buttery treat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They both look lovely, Jenn. I especially like the Apple Crumb Cake. It's one of the first pictures that caught my eye when I browsed through the book at the book store, a long time ago. I think I'll wait until fall and then make it :o)
    Yeah, what's up with the new toy? Pray tell! :o)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving comments.