Search Results

Sunday, September 18, 2011

HCB: Ginger Cheesecake with Gingerbread Crust


The good thing about cheesecakes is that they are easy to make. The bad thing about them is that usually I don't like them. I I've made 3 cheesecakes from Rose's Heavenly Cakes and I like all of them. So I was curious about this one.

The cheesecake is pretty easy to put together, especially when you make 1/6 recipe.

I skipped out on the gingerbread cookies. I made it last year and did not like it at all. Way to much molasses taste. The cookies actually ended up in the trash. Sad. But no one would eat them.



This cheesecake is pretty straightforward. The hardest part is grating the ginger for the juice. Whip the cream cheese and sugar, add in the egg, vanilla, ginger juice. Whip some more. Then add the sour cream.

I wonder if I should have baked them in a lower temperature since they are in cupcake form. Half an hour into baking, I checked them and the looked kinda funny. There's a soft crust developing on top and they shrink a bit. I checked the inside with my cake tester and it came out clean, so I took it out.


Since they look so sad, I decorated them with fresh whipped cream and topped with crystalized ginger candy.


Tasting impressions:
I want to like them, I really do. It would be awesome if I do, because then I can say: "I usually don't like cheesecakes, but I like all Rose's cheesecakes." It tasted pretty ginger-y to me, which should be good because I like ginger, but it just taste like blah to me. Nothing special. Sorry Rose :(.

7 comments:

  1. oh, too bad you didn't care for them. they do look cute in their paper cups and whipped cream swirls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't decide if you're a better photographer or a better baker. These look just spectacular! Too bad they didn't taste as good as they look (although I remember this as being an exceptionally good cheesecake.
    How many cakes do you have left now?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too bad you didn't love them; they're beautiful! I just took mine out of the oven.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry you didn't like them. They look really pretty pretty and adorable. What did you do for the crust since you didn't make Rose's gingerman cookies?

    ReplyDelete
  5. ECL, I think they were cute too, :).

    Marie, thank you for the compliments! You made my day. Oh, and I have 5 cakes left. Hoping to finish baking in 3 weeks.

    Hanaa, I didn't make the crust at all. Hector has made it like that, so I know it works (http://myyellowkitchen.com/category/3rd-chapter-mostly-flourless-cakes-and-cheesecakes/ginger-cheesecake-with-gingerbread-crust-page-252/).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenn --

    What a makeover from those dowdy little things that emerged from the oven to a spectacular (looking) dessert! They were certainly ready for their close-up, Ms. DeMille!!!

    --ak

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving comments.