Search Results

Sunday, September 25, 2011

HCB: Individual Pineapple Upside Down Cake


I haven't baked for two weeks. Last Sunday, after coming back from one of our little road trips, the first thing I did when I got home was to bake this cake.

It felt so good to bake. I didn't realize how much I would miss it! :)

And this cake is tasty. Easy to make too, which is perfect because I was not in the shape to make a lengthy 5-page recipe.

I opted out of the caramel drizzle sauce because cake that has caramel component in it is usually already too sweet for us.

First thing to do is to make the pineapple cherry topping. I didn't buy cherry so it's just pineapple. The topping is basically caramel, made from cooking water and turbinado sugar together. Pretty straightforward. Once the caramel is done, pour them into ramekins and then top the caramels with pineapple slices.

Next was the cake part. Pretty easy and straightforward, except it uses yogurt - not something that happens often with Rose's cakes.

The cake baked relatively quickly and upon unmolding, some of the caramel was stuck to the bottom of the ramekins. With one hand inside the oven mitt, I hold the ramekin and the other hand tried to get the caramel out using a spatula. Apparently this was not a good balancing act because my oven mitt hand slipped, dropped the ramekin - where it fell to the tile kitchen floor, shattering into pieces.

I managed not to cuss this time...

Hubby, upon hearing the shattering noise, as always (not that me shattering dishes is a regular occurence), came downstairs to help me clean up.

Disaster cleaned up, I finished unmolding the rest of the cakelets and proceed to picture-taking.


Tasting impressions:
I'm not sure if I did anything wrong but the cake part is pretty soggy and soft, almost pudding-like. Maybe the combination of the caramel and the juice of the pineapple made the cake soggy. In any case, I'm glad I skipped out of the sauce because it is pretty sweet as it is. It's really good though and I liked the pineapple taste with it.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful pictures... and yep, you made me remember the troubles I had with this cake when I made it back in the early beginning... the only difference is that my family did love it.... I of course did not care to much for it... but you know me and fruit cakes - lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I figured this one would be just your cup of tea because you're so good at the little cakes. It looks beautiful, and appetizing, as always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have fond memories of these cakelets. The cake part just melted in your mouth. Since I made these before, I decide to bake something else (nope, not the brioche). I made the Apple-Cinnamon Crumb Coffee Cake with apples from our tree. Can't wait to taste it. Took it out of the oven at 9:30pm. Rose says it takes 1.5 hours to cool so I figured I could have a thin slice before bedtime. Unfortunately, it was still too warm, so I'll have to wait until after work today. The smell is amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving comments.