Search Results

Friday, December 9, 2011

Last Cake (for Heavenly Cake Bakers)


So here we are at the end after 2 years and 2 months. It sounds so long but at the same time feels short. Has it really been 2 years since this all started?

This week I find that I am at a loss for words. I have been wanting to write this summary since Wednesday and here I am sitting on Friday morning having writer's block.

I realized I am procrastinating writing this Last Cake summary because this will be the last one I write for the Heavenly Cake Bakers.

Sniff.

It feels sad because it is saying goodbye.

But hello, it should not be a goodbye because all of you are now my friends and I know we will stay in touch and visit each other's blog.

And... we have The Baking Bible to look forward too in the future. I am looking forward to baking through it with you guys. And maybe test some recipes, if Rose decide to go that route with us.

So this is not goodbye. This is... see you around :).

Now onto this week's summary...

ECL did not bake this weekend but rather, posted a roundup of the wedding cakes that she's made. She has made the Deep Chocolate Passion Cake twice. The first time for her friend's birthday in April 2010. She substituted the regular ganache with her favorite raspberry ganache, resulting in a cake that her friend called "the perfect semisweet chocolate bliss." The second time was for her friend's wedding this past July 2011. She filled it with Midnight Ganache and frosted with Italian Meringue Buttercream. For the same wedding, ECL also made the Golden Dream Wedding Cake, filled with White Chocolate Lemon Buttercream and frosted with Italian Meringue Buttercream. The cake was such a hit that ECL got asked if she was single!

Vicki had originally wanted to make the Groom's Cake, but after seeing ECL's post she decided to make the Tropical Wedding Cake. De-frosting some old ripen bananas from the "depths of her freezer and stirred up this delectable cake." Having had 94 cakes under her belt, Vicki simply declared "it's quite a simple recipe really." She substituted cashews for macadamia nuts that she couldn't find at the grocery store.Frosted with a leftover mystery buttercream from the freezer, Vicki said this is a lovely, light banana cake that I will make again with Rose's use of passion fruit and mousseline frosting."

I've decided that there is no one FEATURED BAKER this week but there are FEATURED BAKERS. All of us. After all, we all deserved to be featured having baked through the book side by side for all 2 years.

The final CHEER goes to Rose and Marie.

Rose, for writing such awesome recipes with pictures in color! I know The Cake Bible is supposed to be the book but for me Rose's Heavenly Cakes is the one. It is a book that I will treasure forever. Broken, torn, smeared, it has all the kitchen battle scars of the last 2 years.

And Marie. Oh the ode that I want to say to Marie. If I could write a poem about her I would. Thank you Marie for being our fearless leader these past 2 years. Without your leadership, wisdom, and encouragement, this bake-through would never have happened. I know I speak for everyone when I say that I hope we can bake together again in the future.

Until then...

5 comments:

  1. Well-said, Jenn. It's been a wonderful ride. We've shared our successes together as well as a few failures (still can't believe I forgot to add sugar to my cupcake batter!!). A big thanks to all the bakers for always having words of encouragement for one another. And even bigger thanks to Marie and Jenn for keeping this group going. They both did such a fantastic job!! As we all know, Rose is simply amazing. I always loved her recipes but I have an even greater appreciation for her work now. So thank you, Rose. We're all anxiously awaiting The Baking Bible for another round of fun baking! See you around everybody :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've learned so much as a baker during this project, and I've gotten to know the wittiest, kindest, most interesting people. Thanks to Jenn, Marie, Rose, and to you all. Dziękuję bardzo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is definitely a 90% dark chocolate bittersweet moment. Thank you for leading us on to the completion of Marie's HCB bake along. A toast to Rose, Woody, Marie, you and all the wonderful HCB'ers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my, I teared up as I read this. Jenn, this seems even more of an ending than when I baked my last cake. The good news is that Rose is still planning to let us serve as a militia of test bakers, so we will be back together, one way or another.
    And what adorable little cakes for your swan song--hearts and poufs of cream. Very Jenn-esque!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A 90% bittersweet moment indeed. I have loved getting to know all of you, and I hope you'll continue to bake and blog until we get our next Rose assignment. I already miss our weekly get-togethers.

    Jenn, thank you so much for taking on the bake-through. If it wasn't for you, I wouldn't be so close to finishing. Both you and Marie deserve a standing ovation. Can't wait for the encore.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving comments.