Search Results

Monday, December 5, 2011

HCB Free Choice: Double-Chocolate-Whammy Groom's Cake



I wish I could say this is my last cake to blog from Rose's Heavenly Cakes. But as I was looking through my Heavenly Cake List this morning, I realized I haven't blogged about the yellow butter cupcakes. I think I still have a picture of it somewhere so the short post will come later this week.

By now you guys would realize that the reason I said you can bake the wedding cakes in any shape is because I wanted to do the same thing too. As you guys know by now I have a love for anything mini and since this cake is from the Wedding Cake section, I bake them in my Wilton heart-shaped silicone pan.



It is ironic to use heart-shaped pan for both the brownie and the final cake. I mean, this is a Groom's Cake after all, but if the groom is anything like my hubby, he would say "they look nice/cute :))."

I was not looking forward to this cake at all because of the brownie component. All the brownies I've had in my life are always super sweet so this cake never appealed to me.

Now why would I make it? For 2 reasons. One, I am lazy! It seemed to be the easiest cake from the wedding cake section. The second reason is curiosity. A cake that is baked with chunks of previously-baked brownies sounds too interesting to pass up. So in the end this cake won.


 The brownie component of this cake is aptly named fudgy pudgy brownies. I love that name! It calls for toasting the walnuts and pecans in the oven. Let them cool and then break them into pieces.

Then melt the chocolate, cocoa, sugar, and butter combination. Whisk in the sugar, then add the flour and salt, and the nuts.

Bake for 30 minutes.


Let it cool and then refrigerate for 1 hour. Since my brownies was baked in small pan, they cooled in about 1/2 hour.

Next, make the batter for the final cake.

Whisk the cocoa, sour cream, eggs, and vanilla until it's lumpy like muffin batter.


Mix the dry ingredients together. Add the butter and 1/2 the cocoa mixture. Then add the remaining cocoa mixture. Fold in the pieces of the fudgy pudgy brownies.

I don't remember how long these baked but it was definitely faster than the recipe calls for, as they are small.

The final step of the recipe was to syrup them with sugar syrup and bourbon. I used Grand Marnier instead because I like the flavor it more than bourbon.


They looked kinda plain as it is so I decorated the top with whipped cream and topped with chocolate pearl.


Tasting impressions:
This is surprisingly good! Not too sweet like all the brownies I've had in my life. I love the texture of it. Fudgy and chewy. The nuts played a big role in the flavor and texture component. YUM!

7 comments:

  1. They turned out adorable! Your photography is just beautiful. Thank you for hosting the final baking posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are just beautiful! And they look so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've worried that this cake would just be too much, but I'm glad to know it isn't! Cute lookin' little groom's cakes.

    Thanks for being our fearless leader these last six months. I will miss our weekly blogging. Do you think you'll tackle another bake-through?

    ReplyDelete
  4. ב''ה

    They look lovely. Well done. Thanks for hosting and congrats! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delicious. Would love for you to share this with us over at foodepix.com.

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look so cute! You've just inspired me to try out that recipe. They sound absolutely delicious!

    And yes, thanks for hosting!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are adorable!!! Like ECL, I too thought these would be super rich. Glad to know that isn't the case. Will put them on my to-bake-later list.
    Thanks so much for hosting these past months. You did such a great job!! Looking forward to our next bake-through in 2015 when Rose publishes The Baking Bible :o)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving comments.